Vernacular architecture (住宅與民居(一))
|First semester, Thursday 10AM - 12AM, DH304
Slides of the lectures,
- Develop the sensibility of students toward vernacular architecture.
- Discuss factors influencing the development of vernacular architecture.
- Plead for a better protection of vernacular architecture.
The class consists of lecture sessions.
- Introduction to the study of vernacular architecture.
- Climatic factors.
- Site factors.
- Material factors.
- Socio-cultural factors.
- Examples in Afghanistan.
- Examples in Belgium.
- Examples in Switzerland.
- Examples in China.
- Examples in Taiwan.
Paper, final exam, participation during the class.
- Amos Rapoport, House Form and Culture, Prentice Hall, 1969
- Bernard Rudofski, Architecture Without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture, University of New Mexico Press, 1987
- James P. Spradley, The ethnographic interview, Wadsworth, 1979
- Paul Oliver, Dwellings, Phaidon Press, 2003
- Ramparts, villages and vernacular dwellings of Dang-Jia-Cun village of Han-Cheng, 1999
- Stanley Ira Hallet, Rafi Samizay, Traditional architecture of Afghanistan, Garland STPM Press, 1980
- Chen Chi-Lu, Material culture of the formosan aborigenes, Southern Materials Center, 1968
- ICOMOS, Vernacular architecture (Monuments and Sites V), 2002
Back to home page